[Equest-users] Using .INP file to edit schedules, building envelope and creating air-side for typical floors

Sharad Kumar sharad.kumar101 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 05:46:00 PDT 2014

Dear eQuest Users,

Recently while trying few things on .INP file, i have been able to import
schedules.
This can be done with the help of File< Import File (to import the text
file).This is already there on eQuest users.
I also tried to edit schedules with the help of .INP file.
This can be very useful for building with bigger sizes.
Suppose the default schedule for Occupancy is"E1 Bldg Occup Sch". This can
be edited by "find and replace tool" to assign the prior imported schedule
(like "Occupancy Schedule Annual" which was imported or created in detailed
mode).Hence these schedules can be edited within seconds to reduce the
hours of time to seconds. Similarly Lighting, Equipment, Heating, Cooling
and HVAC fan schedule can also be edited in .INP file and help to save time.
I used to do all these in eQuest .pd2 file but  this has greatly reduced my
efforts.
Similarly typical floors Air-side can be made by similar smart work.
For this we can create One typical floors Air-side and then we can copy
then paste then use find and replace tool to create Air-Side for various
typical floors.
In this we need to delete the various default systems and zones first
belonging to the other typical floors.
Then we can copy,paste and then use "find and replace tool" to edit the
number of spaces and zones.
For example, a zone's name is "E20 East Perim Zn (G.E25)" for a system for
nineteenth floor and the System'is AHU-20
We can use find and replace tool to edit the number from 20 to 19 to create
the Air-side for eighteenth floor. This has to be done for all the spaces
belonging to eighteenth floor.
This can also be used to assign the building envelope within minutes to
various wall, roof and glass.
I suppose this post can help many people to reduce the time that is
invested in the slow processing of eQuest for bigger models.

NOTE:
If you get any error then try few things below:
1. Try to find the error in spacing and lining. This has to be in proper
order.
2. Try editing the .INP file section wise.For example the schedule portion,
HVAC portion or spaces portion should be edited separately and replaced in
the proper .INP file.

Thanks,
Sharad. Kumar
Engineer