[Equest-users] Python for pre or post-processing eQuest/DOE2 files

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Sep 30 17:59:32 PDT 2014

I'm not aware of purpose-built editors for eQUEST, but there's been discussions on various
bulletin boards off and on about how people pre- and post-process DOE-2 input and output
files.

I've been using various unix programs, esp. awk, for this purpose.  What I like about awk
are:
  (1) easy parsing of text
  (2) flexibility to interpret arguments as either characters, numbers
  (3) minimal effort to set up an script, in contrast to formal computer languages like C,
Fortran, etc. that
        require defining variables, assigning arrays, open statements, etc., etc.

awk works well with any text file, but it may work particularly well with standard DOE-2
output files because of their consistent format, making it possible to search for unique
strings, and then start counting lines and pulling off variables.  I'm attaching a generic
report.awk script (I always use the *.awk extension to tell them apart) that reads a
standard DOE-2 output and prints out the summary results on a single line.  I then add
this to the batch run file, so that I never look at the full DOE-2 outputs, but only at a
file containing all the summary results.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A