[Equest-users] single zone / multizone

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Thu Apr 23 16:03:58 PDT 2015

You are correct - in this case the "Multizone" type system has a hot deck and cold deck, and these are combined to produce the air supplied to the zone, so there is simultaneous heating and cooling taking place as you surmised.

A "Multizone System" is not the same as "a system with multiple zones, and which might be VAV."

But to be clear, if you are using a single-zone system in the building as shown below, the fair comparison would be one single-zone AHU per zone, and not one serving all of the zones. If that's not the case, check the unmet load hours for both cases in the AHU summary sheet. That may also be one reason why one case is lower energy use than the other - the zones may need some reheat if supplied from a single AHU.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates