[Equest-users] 90.1 G3.1.1 and Manufacturing Facilities

Marcus Eliason meliason at apollobbc.com
Tue Apr 28 07:26:29 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am modeling a large, conditioned manufacturing facility with attached offices.  The baseline building is modeled as System 8, “VAV with PFP Boxes.”  The proposed building uses constant volume RTUs.  From a design perceptive, I see how a VAV system makes sense for a standard office building, but using VAV for a large and tall manufacturing space does not seem appropriate.   Does anyone have any experience using the exceptions in Section G3.1.1 to allow for a constant volume system (similar to Sys 4) in a manufacturing space?

The manufacturing area will have higher process and occupancy loads than the offices, but is the predominant condition when compared to the office spaces.  I did see some 90.1 interpretations that indicate that only the smaller spaces (<25,000 sqft) would be eligible for the G3.1.1 exceptions, but wanted to see if anybody had a different experience arguing it to LEED.

Thank you,

Marcus T Eliason, PE, LEED AP
Consultant

Apollo BBC