[Equest-users] Ice rink in sports arena

Michael Hsueh mhsueh at integralgroup.com
Thu Jan 22 14:45:07 PST 2015

Rohini,

I'd think of it less as the "coolth" being added to the space from the ice
and more as the electrical energy required to run compressor to maintain
the ice. I'm assuming that ice rinks don't heat the air since people are
perfectly comfortable with the idea of a rink being cold with so much ice
present. In the summer, this load for keeping ice frozen goes away.

In terms of practical ways to do it, I'd schedule some sort of
refrigeration load equivalent to what's needed to maintain the ice in the
winter -- have a thermostat setpoint that's basically equivalent to setting
that space to unconditioned. In the summer your schedule will turn off the
refrigeration load and then set that space back to conditioned.

That's just off the top of my head. Curious about thoughts others on the
forum would have about this.

Best,

-Michael

*Michael Hsueh* | Project Engineer

*Integral Group *| 427 13th Street | Oakland CA USA 94612
D 510.457.2041 | T 510.663.2070 x 241

integralgroup.com <http://www.integralgroup.com/> | mhsueh at integralgroup.com

*Trust* | *Nurture* | *Inspire*

 *See our new book: Integral: Revolutionary Engineering
<https://living-future.org/int%C3%A9gral-revolutionary-engineering>*

*
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Integral-Group-DEEP-GREEN-Engineering-3830399/about>
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Integral-Group-Inc/213422145352140>
<http://twitter.com/#%21/IntegralGroupCA>
<http://www.youtube.com/user/IntegralGroupOakland>
<http://www.integralgroup.com/>*

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient or have received this email in error, please
notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any unauthorized
copying, disclosure or distribution of the information contained on this
email is prohibited.