[Equest-users] Problem with Submetering

Chris Baker CBaker at cci-alliance.com
Sat Jun 20 20:57:33 PDT 2015

So I was going through my leed online submission this evening and noticed that in the "PS-E" reports equest combined my plug loads with my cooking equipment and comm room power.

I attempted to apply 2 new submeters for these but after finishing those equest gives me an error running the simulation - 2 "standard file writing errors".  Thus, the simulation wouldn't run.

I then experimented with deleting cooking equipment and comm room equipment from the miscellaneous utility loads (so that plug loads show up only).  I then created two new "utility" meters - one for cooking, one for comm room power.

This appeared to operate perfectly fine and without errors.

This did separate the power just fine but is this a standard procedure for LEED review?  And if doing this, what else should I look out for?

>From what I'm seeing in equest there isn't any way to link a "submeter" to an existing utility meter.  Instead, they are treated as independent entities with their own assigned loads/schedules.

However, it would appear new utility meters can be linked to a parent "utility meter".

However, if I'm modeling power flowing to these two processes independently of the primary electric meter, I would assume I would NOT want these linked to the parent meter.
Just because that would double-counting the power usage in the proposed model (=BAD?)?

I searched in the forums for a while reading up on submeters but can't find a solution to this issue, specifically.  I know there's a simple fix I'm just kind of a newb.

>From what I've read, however, if you apply a submeter you typically would want to keep your miscellaneous loads unchanged at the zonal level.  I'm assuming a submeter would simply monitor the power usage while the process still gets power provided, and monitored by, the primary electric meter.

Chris Baker
CCI CAD Drafter

CCI-Alliance Confidentiality notice: This message is intended only for the person to whom addressed in the text above and may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not that person, any use of this message is prohibited. We request that you notify us by reply to this message, and then delete all copies of this message including any contained in your reply. Thank you.