[Equest-users] Evapotranspiration Rate - Greenhouse

Erik Kolderup erik at kolderupconsulting.com
Fri May 29 14:47:57 PDT 2015

I can answer part of your question. The ET rate is provided in mm/day
because it's used by farmers to determine how much water to apply to their
crops. That's the depth of water required to offset the consumption by the
plants. A typical value is 0.25 inch/day in hot weather, so a farmer would
need to apply 1 inch of water if irrigating every four days.

For your purposes, you could multiply the ET rate by the the "footprint"
area of the plants to get a rough water consumption rate. Of course the ET
rate varies with the plant's environment: drybulb, wetbulb, airspeed, etc.

Seems reasonable that using that calculation would get you in the ballpark
of the latent load from the plants.

-Erik

*Erik Kolderup, PE, LEED AP*
erik at kolderupconsulting.com | 415.531.5198 | www.kolderupconsulting.com