[Hap-users] Solar Heat Gain Coefficient or Shade Coefficient

Eric Curtis ECurtis at BarrettWoodyard.com
Wed Jul 16 12:21:50 PDT 2008

>From the Carrier HAP for LEED NC 2.2 EAc1 Training Manual published by
Carrier:

"HAP uses 'Shade Coefficient, SC' for window solar properties. ... Most
of the fenestration industry uses the 'Solar Heat Gain Coefficient,
SHGC' which is conceptually similar to SC.  To convert to the SHGC to SC
simply divide the SHGC by a 0.87 conversion factor."

Eric

-----Original Message-----
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:45:21 +0100
From: "Nuno Brandao" <ncostab at gmail.com>
Subject: [Hap-users] Solar Heat Gain Coefficient or Shade Coefficient
To: hap-users at lists.onebuilding.org

Dear All,

I have a small doubt about the definition presented by the H.A.P. help
database about the "Overall Shade Coefficient". Is it in fact the "Solar
Heat Gain Coefficient" or the "Shade Coefficient"?

I found that there are people using it in both ways, but they are
diferent. The relation between can be found in the ASHRAE Handbook of
Fundamentals and is:

SC=SHGC/0.87

Thanks for the help
Nuno