[Hap-users] Need help with HAP load calculation

Aaron Smith asmith at mreng.ca
Mon Sep 10 17:46:46 PDT 2012

Dele,

Yes, if some spaces were added to both systems fresh air and zone loads
would have been calculated twice.  I'm not sure how the HVAC systems are
setup in your building, usually the AHU conditions the fresh air and
supplies it to each zone and each zone then has a fan-coil unit to handle
zone loads (lights, people, envelope, etc.).  If that is the case, you want
to add all zones into one system as follows:
- equipment type= terminal units
- air system type= 2 pipe fan coil
- Ventilation= common ventilation system
- Describe your Air Handling Unit under "Vent System Components" tab

If some zones only have zone cooling (they don't get any fresh air), still
add them to the system but enter "0" under "OA Ventilation Requirements" in
the Space Properties Window.

If some zones get fresh air but don't have any other cooling, still add them
to the system but ensure all zone loads are zeroed (lights, equipment,
people sensible & latent, wall areas, etc) in the Space Properties Window.

I hope this helps,
Aaron

Aaron Smith, P.Eng
LEEDR AP BD+C, M-ASHRAE, Mechanical Engineer
t: (902) 422-7393
f: (902) 423-4945
e: asmith at mreng.ca

The electronic message contained herein is private and confidential,
intended only for the recipient(s) specified. If you have received this
message in error, please delete it and notify us immediately.  Any
accompanying files are supplied as a matter of courtesy only.  The data are
without warranty of any kind.  Any person or business making use of the data
is responsible for confirming its accuracy and completeness.  M&R
Engineering Ltd. is not responsible for edited or produced versions of this
digital information.