[Trace-users] Campus Chilled Water vs 90.1 Baseline Chiller

Snarski, Marty msnarski at shwgroup.com
Wed Jan 20 11:51:49 PST 2010

Hello, all.

I'm working on a DD-level Energy Model, and am having some trouble with
the results.

My Design Building will use campus chilled water, and campus steam.
I've modeled those per the instructions in the TRACE User Manual.

My Baseline Building is a System 7, and is therefore modeled with a
chiller (screw-chiller >150, <300 tons), and a boiler.

The overall cooling loads for the  two alternatives are:

Baseline: 548.1 tons

Design: 393.1 tons

On the PRM Summary, however, the Space Cooling energy is coming up at:

Baseline: 765.0 (10^6 Btu/yr)

Design: 3659.7 (10^6 Btu/yr)

It seems to me there should be an energy savings with chilled water,
over the chiller.  At any rate, it seems strange to me that there'd be
an increase of Cooling Energy of 5 times, to meet a smaller load.

Might anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Martin Snarski   LEED(r) AP
Mechanical Engineer

NOTICE:
This e-mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of any of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the above address and delete it from your computer system; you should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone. The content of the message and or attachments may not reflect the view and opinions of the originating company or any party it is representing.