[Trace-users] Heat Pump Chillers (not geothermal)

Clark Denson cdenson at ssr-inc.com
Tue Mar 29 11:31:38 PDT 2011

I'm aware of TRACE's ability to model geothermal chiller-heaters using bi-directional cascade effects, but how can I get TRACE to do this without a ground loop?  All I have is the evaporator side of the chiller producing chilled water and then rejecting the heat to the condenser side where it supplements the fossil fuel boilers.

Can I just set the heat rejection type from "ground loop" to "heating plant" and then specify my backup boiler?  If I do this, I lose the ability to select "bi-directional cascade."  Is this okay?

Finally, if this single heat pump chiller is one of several chillers in a chiller plant, should it be sequenced in a "side-car" or "base load" arrangement?

Thanks!

Clark R. Denson, PE, CEM, LEED AP
Sustainable Solutions Group℠
SSRCx®, LLC