[Trace-users] Baseline Fan Power with DOAS in proposed and not in baseline

Nick Anderson nanderson at mdaengr.com
Thu Jul 25 05:25:22 PDT 2013

I'm doing a LEED School simulation.  The proposed building has many water source heat pumps with a small fan in each that has 3/4" static pressure (typical 1000 CFM for example) and a dedicated outdoor air unit supplying a typical 200 CFM to a single WSHP zone direct to the space with its own supply and return fans with relatively large static pressures (4" Supply, 2" Return sp).  The baseline building system is 7, VAV with reheat.  The DOAS system is not necessary in the baseline system since it is an RTU.

When it comes to fan power in the baseline case, I am not sure how to keep the fans the same with such different arrangements and static pressures.  How do I apply the VAV with supply and return fans to represent the proper static pressure situation of the proposed building so that the fan power comparison is proper?  How do I calculate the baseline power for each unit?  I want to understand for hand calculations.

I am using the latest version of Trace and will be cross posting to the Trace list for program specific information on how to have Trace properly handle the calculations automatically.

Thanks for any help,
Nick