[TRNSYS-users] Type 340 Multiport Storage - problems with charging and discharging stratified

Schreiner, Florian florian.schreiner2 at student.kit.edu
Fri Nov 9 03:49:27 PST 2012

Dear TRNSYS Users,

I'm using Type 340 “Multiport store model” in my diploma thesis.
It's a model for a stratified fluid storage tank. It can be charged and discharged directly by up to ten double ports.
For my work it would be desirable to charge and discharge the storage stratified and now I'm looking for help to realize this.

According to the description of Type 340 and some experiments with this model, I guess that it's only possible to charge the storage stratified,
but not to discharge it depending on the desired temperature at the same time.
On the one hand it is assumed that the fluid enters the store in that node, were the store temperature is equal to the temperature of the incoming water (stratified charging).
But the output of the fluid then always takes place at the height of the outlet position which is set in the parameters for this double port.
Therefore it seems impossible to  discharge at a desired temperature level.

The same happens vice versa for the discharging process. In that case the discharge height is fixed and the incoming position is selected according to the fluid temperature.
Maybe someone has already come across this problem and has got an idea to solve it.
A “Workaround” based on adding additional components next to the storage in TRNSYS Simulation studio or something like that would be perfect.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Florian