[TRNSYS-users] Type 56 with AHU

Marcus jones.0bj3 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 06:38:35 PDT 2012

Hi Jean,

I never use the type 56 internal heating when coupling to AHU. I always
instead create i.e. a VENTILATION type in TRNBLD which is defined by INPUTS
for the temperature, flow rate, and humidity of incoming air. This provides
the input side. For the output side, I would read the temperature of the
zone, and feed that to the AHU controller. This defines the demand for that
zone, and it's closer to reality, a real controller would never directly
know the energy demand of a zone.

But it amounts to a lot of clicking and connecting if you have a lot of
zones, which I think you do. It's often a battle against the software
trying to get at the values we need...

In your case it sounds like you at a minimum need to externalize (create an
INPUT) the heating power of the heating type. This way you can turn it
off/on or regulate the power in the ideal type. Same goes for set
temperature, if you set the heating temp very low, this is the same as
turning it off. So generally, you need to lookup how to get values into/out
of TRNBLD? Maybe you already have, but click the play arrow icon in TRNBLD
for a field - change from constant to input - and then update the type 56
icon.

Hope that helps!
--
Marcus Jones,  M.Sc., LEED®AP BD+C