[TRNSYS-users] TRNSYS debug-mode and Visual Studio 2010

marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com
Thu Jun 13 00:10:48 PDT 2013

Dear Florian,

In order to debug your type in Visual Studio you have two ways:

1) "official way" : you can rebuild trnDll in debug mode (don't forget before to make a backup copy of the original trnDll, which is in C:\Trnsys17\Exe), so that TRNSYS automatically uses the types in your debugDLLs folder. You should be sure that all types you use in your simulation are in this folder. After that, you can click in "Start debug" in Visual Studio (Debug menu of F5). A dialog box will open asking for an executable file to start the debugging, you should select the file C:\Trnsys17\Exe\TRNExe.exe (it is the "starting point" of a TRNSYS simulation, calling trnDll). You can ignore the dialog box which follows. If you have a breakpoint in you code, execution will stop at this point and you will be able to explore variables and debugging step-by-step (F8)

2) a shortcut to avoid rebuilding trnDll is to copy the dll of your type from debugDll to releaseDll. After that, you will follow the same procedure as in the first option (start debug and selection of C:\Trnsys17\Exe\TRNExe.exe). In this case, you have to make this copy each time you rebuild your type in order to "synchronize" your code with the executable.

Good luck for your diploma thesis!

Marcello Caciolo
Responsable Outils et Méthodes d'Analyse Energétique

Cellule Efficacité Energétique et Environnementale - Pôle Projets et Réalisations
46 Boulevard de la Prairie au Duc
BP 40119 - 44201 Nantes Cedex 02
Tél.: +33 02 40 41 06 57
marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com
Pensez à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce message