[TRNSYS-users] PEM electrolyzer

Georgios Kyriakarakos gk at aua.gr
Thu May 2 03:07:28 PDT 2013

Dear Maria,

It seems that you do not have extensive technical data of the electrolyzer you want to model, but I am sure that you probably have an efficiency curve of the PEM electrolyzer. You can create a simple model based on that efficiency curve. If you are operating your PEM electrolyzer only at nominal power then it is even simpler, you can just use a calculator to model it with an equation for the calculation of the produced hydrogen based on the consumed power. With the If...Then... statements inside the calculator you can model the ON/OFF switch of the device, along with a switch to produce no hydrogen if the hydrogen tank is full.
In the paper below you can find the equations I used in order to model a PEM electrolyzer through a new TRNSYS type.
A fuzzy cognitive maps–petri nets energy management system for autonomous polygeneration microgrids
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568494612000646

George
Dr. George Kyriakarakos, Agricultural Engineer
MSc Energy Systems & Renewable Energy Sources, PhD.
Agricultural University of Athens,
Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering
Iera odos street, 75, Athens 11855, Greece
Tel. +30.210.5294046 (direct), Fax: +30.210.5294023
Mobile +30.6942.046895
e-mail: <gk at aua.gr>