[TRNSYS-users] The error: TRNSYS message 103

Hossein Khosravi Bakhtiari hokb at kth.se
Thu Oct 17 08:06:16 PDT 2013

Hello every body,

I am modeling an air/water heat pump (type 668 with appropriate data for air on the evaporator side on the properties tab of the proforma) along with a solar thermal collector (type 73). Both of them are connected to a thermal storage tank (type 531 with 3 nodes) via direct connection and an immersed heat exchanger respectively. I received the following 2 errors from TRNSYS:

"TRNSYS Message 103: The TRNSYS TYPE checking routine has found an inconsistency in the specified component between the input file and the information expected by the Type

Reported information: An illegal PARAMETER value has been reported by the model. The model has reported that the parameter 32 (and 33 for the other error) is the problem - but this may not be the case. Please check the component configuration."

I checked the consistency between the size of the heat exchanger, I selected the coiled tube including 1 node completely placed in the 3rd node of the storage tank, and the size of the thermal storage tank node in which the HX is placed and everything was ok. However, I received the error again. Then, I guessed that the problem would be the selected type of the HX.  Thus, I selected the serpentine tube to math the rectangular cross section of the storage tank. It did not work though. Next, I increased the number of nodes for the HX to 2 and considered the half of the length of the tube in 2nd node of the storage tank and the other half in the 3rd node of the storage tank. It did not work either.

There is another problem as well. On the file properties related to type 531, reached after clicking on the magic wand icon, I inserted the desired information and the information was transferred to the external file. When I open the file properties again, the inserted data were not available anymore and they had been replaced by some other random irrelevant data. If I pressed the ok, all that irrelevant data was inserted to the external file! Therefore, I have to eddit the external file itself without the use of the file properties. I have no idea what the problem is?! First, when I was only modeling the air/water heat pump connected to the storage tank, i.e. the number of immersed HX on the file properties was zero, I did not face such problem.

I am sorry that it became a long message. I needed to explain everything in detail.

I would deeply appreciate it if anybody could help me regarding this matter.

BR/

Hossein.