[TRNSYS-users] Questions about solar gains in TRNBUILD

Pauline GELIN p.gelin at katene.fr
Wed Aug 20 05:32:07 PDT 2014

Dear all users,

With different colleagues, we are comparing different STD softwares. I am working on TRNSYS.
We compared the consumption of heating, cooling and lighting of a local type 1) in the case of a conventional double glazed window with blinds closures and 2) in the case of a solar control glass.
Or the values ​​obtained for TRNSYS are significantly different compared to other softwares. TRNSYS seems to increase much more cooling needs in the case of a solar control glass and east / west heating needs decrease while increase for other logiciels.
Having already seen these variations for glazing before, I would like to know if anyone has also noticed this before. Is there a technical reason which can be advanced for this special consideration of solar gains from windows?

Observations on the first ideas that we issued are also confusing.
First, we wanted to compare weather data used in our various softwares. They seem to differ depending on the selected format Meteonorm (first Excel file attached). Is there anyone who has also noticed that or knows what is the reason or solution to fix this?

Then, I wanted to study some TRNBUILD outputs related to solar radiation. I found that output 79 (solar direct+diffuse radiation being absorbed at inside surface) was not equal (second Excel file attached) to the outputs 80 (solar direct radiation being absorbed at inside surface) + 81 (solar diffuse radiation being absorbed at inside surface) while its description corresponds to the sum of the two. Could you explain me why ?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give me.

Best regards,

Pauline GELIN
Ingénieur Conception environnementale

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CFBC83.8528B950]