[TRNSYS-users] Generating a control signal for a storage tank

ali shirazi ali.shirazee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 04:56:40 PST 2014

Dear Trnsys users,

I am modeling a solar assisted absorption chiller. In this system, a hot
water storage tank is used to store solar thermal energy. The cycle is also
equipped with an auxiliary heater which is switched on in case the tank
temperature is lower than a certain value. I need to generate a control
signal (either 0 or 1) representing if the tank is on or off. The following
briefly describes the intended control strategy:

The tank is on (control signal=1) if the bottom node temperature is greater
than 88 C and it is deactivated (control signal value=0) in case the
temperature at the top of the tank is less than 88 C. In this case, the
tank could be charged while the auxiliary heater is operating.

I suppose an on/off differential controller would work for above mentioned
strategy (an equation box may be needed to be used as well) but do not know
how to make it work! I would really appreciate it if you could give me hand
in this regard.

Regards,

--
*Ali shirazi*