[TRNSYS-users] The necessity of using pipes in TRNSYS models

Ben Heymer bheymer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 07:17:17 PDT 2014

Amir,

Yes, you should include pipes in the loop with at least enough volume
to handle the flow during one timestep. If you think this volume is
unrealistically high, reduce your time step. You can set the thermal
losses of the pipes to zero if you choose.

I sometimes use an equation to define the minimum pipe length to avoid
convergence errors as I explore a model. If you define your time step
as a global parameter, you can use something like:

minpipelength = 1.1 * pipeflow (m^3/hr) * timestep (hr) / pipearea (m2)
pipelength = max(minpipelength, realpipelength)

-Ben Heymer