[TRNSYS-users] Cooling tower (type 51b) controlling

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Tue Aug 19 09:31:41 PDT 2014

Shahen,

I suggest you use the TRACE command and check to see what the controller
is producing for a signal through all iterations of the timestep. It's
very possible that the simulation is not converging and you are seeing
the result of that non-convergence. Make sure you are using a small
timestep, have pipes for capacitance, etc. We control towers all the
time but use the tempering valve controller module in the TESS HVAC
Library and not an external controller.

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
22 N. Carroll Street, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com

On 08/19/2014 8:43 am, Shahen Fakhraldin wrote:

> Dear TRNSYS users,
>
> I am trying to control a cooling tower of absorption chiller by using a three-way valve (type 11f) to mix between the returned water from the chiller and the water coming from the cooling tower (type 51b).
>
> I assumed the range of temperature of mixing 28 - 33 C (over 33 C the flow completely will be through the cooling tower), and I am using (W-interpreter) to produce the mixer (diverter) signal.
>
> I am getting strange results where the inlet mass to the chiller (that comes from the cooling tower subsystem) is not equal to the inlet mass of the cooling tower subsystem (that comes from the chiller), even these mass rates exceeded the rated flow rate of the pump of cooling tower subsystem (type 114). Whereas if the diverter signal is fixed (from 0 to 1.0) I do not face this error
>
> Did anyone try controlling a cooling tower in TRNSYS?
>
> All kinds of help are very much appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
> Shahen

Links:
------