[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE TC 9.6: Benchmarking

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Thu Aug 1 06:31:21 PDT 2002

Thanks for pointing out that the appendix is out for public
review from the 90.1 committee of ASHRAE.   The title is of
the proposed appendix is:

  PERFORMANCE RATING METHOD

It will be an informative appendix, so it doesn't change
the stringency of the 90.1 standard at all.  Instead, its
focus is on helping people determine how much better a
building is than the 90.1 standard.  It is out for public
review until September 9 under the name:

  BSR/ASHRAE/IESNA Addendum e to ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standard
  90.1-2001, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise
  Residential Buildings

The "addenda e" is the part to remember.  You can download
it from:

  http://www.ashrae.org/STANDARDS/availdft.htm

It is about 20 pages.  Short enough to read and think about
how it could be improved the next time you are stuck
waiting somewhere.

If you have questions on the text or approach, you are
welcome to ask me about them since I am the new Chair of
the Energy Cost Budget subcommittee of ASHRAE 90.1.  I
encourage constructive comments especially from people with
experience in benchmarking buildings.  We would like to
make it as usable (while still being accurate) as we can.

If you have comments they should be formally submitted but
if you just have a question, please let me know.

Jason

PS Mark and Ken, thanks for posting this.  I should have
thought of posting an announcement myself.

On 31 Jul 2002 at 16:05, Mark E. Case wrote:

> I don't know if this hit this list or not so -- FYI.
> Hopefully this will replace the ECB methodolgy for metrics
> (such as LEED) application. I urge everyone involved in
> modeling for benchmarking/metric use to look at and comment.
>
> Mark E. Case, P.E.
> etc Group, Inc.

> =======
>

> In case you might not have heard the proposed ASHRAE
> Standard 90.1 Annex G that facilitates benchmarking a design
> against the standard, which we discussed in Honolulu, is now
> available from the ASHRAE website for download and comment.
>
> Ken Gillespie
> Technologist
> Pacific Gas & Electric Co.
> 3400 Crow Canyon Rd.
> San Ramon CA 94583
> Co. 251-5329
> 925/866-5329

Jason Glazer, P.E.  mailto:jglazer at gard.com  847 698 5686
GARD Analytics - http://www.gard.com/
1028 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Building Energy Simulation and Analysis
Admin of BLDG-SIM list for building simulation users