[BLDG-SIM] Major disagreement on Chiller Performance Curves in DOE-2.1E and DOE-2.2

Mike Tillou miket at etcgrp.com
Wed Oct 15 14:40:49 PDT 2003

John, I think the answer to your question has two parts:

1. DOE uses two curves for modifying the full load EIR (1/COP) of a constant
speed chiller.  The first adjusts for part load and the second for
temperature.

I use a curve with fixed CHWT and CWT at various part load conditions (at
design conditions not ARI rated conditions) for the EIR f(PLR) curve (the
one you're asking about) and create a second curve based on various
combinations of CHWT, CWT at full load for the EIR f(LCHWT, ECWT) curve.
The assumption, I think, is that the PLR curve reamins relatively uniform as
the water temperatures change so once you have the shape of the PLR curve
you can account for temperature differences with a second curve.

2. The above methodology works fine for constant speed chillers but needs to
be modified for variable speed chillers.  Rather than using EIR F(PLR) you
need to use EIR f(PLR,dT).  This curve now accounts for the change in the
difference of the water temperature across the chiller.  See Volume 6 of the
DOE 2.2 v41 reference manual available at www.DOE2.com, there is a section
on chiller performance that explains this much better than I could do.  DOE
2.2 v41 incorporates this change and has default curves for both.

It sounds like you both may be correct depending on the type of chiller you
want to model.

Mike Tillou, PE
etc Group, Inc
413-664-9070