[BLDG-SIM] infiltration heat loss in summer

mbusman at noresco.com mbusman at noresco.com
Sun Feb 1 09:44:08 PST 2004

Ian,

You might want to look at what thermostat setpoint you are using in your
model.  If you look at TMY stats for the June-Sept. period, the average dry
bulb temperature ranges from 72.4 deg. - 76.9 deg.  If you have a setpoint
in your model of 78 deg., it's quite possible to get sensible cooling
calculated.  If you've ever lived there, the reality is that you'll probably
set the thermostat at 70-72 degrees in order to feel comfortable, run the
A/C most of the time, and be thankful that Georgia Power electric rates are
some of the cheapest in the country.

You might also look at how your bldg. mass is defined and run some hourly
reports on outside air
drybulb temperatures nside space temperature, status of A/C system (on or
off),and compare.  You might find hours at night that are cooler than the
thermostat setpoint, but heat stored during the day might be causing your
A/C system to keep running, or if you shut off the A/C, the space temp. may
remain above setpoint.

Regards,

Mike Busman, C.E.M.
Senior Project Engineer