[BLDG-SIM] Thermal Ice Storage using Phase Change Material

William Bahnfleth wbahnfleth at psu.edu
Fri Mar 16 07:36:26 PDT 2007

Alpana,

This is interesting, thanks.  I see that the
products actually listed in their current
literature only go down to phase change temperatures of 23C.

The latent heat of 140 kJ/kg is only about 40% of
that of pure water (335 kJ/kg), so the storage
density is also around 40% of ice.

Pure ice storage density is around 8 - 10 times
that of sensible storage for air-conditioning
applications, but ice storage modules are
frequently cylindrical and their contents are not
all water.  In the case of containerized PCM, the
tank is filled with spheres containing the PCM
with glycol solution flowing through the void
space, so the actual density may be only have
that of the pure PCM.  Consequently, a medium
with the density of this PCM might in application
have only two or three times the density of
sensible storage and is bound to be much more
expensive.  I believe that this is one of the key
reasons that higher temperature cool storage PCM
media flopped in the US a decade ago and why they
would likely do so again until someone comes up
with a medium with a (much) higher latent heat.

Bill Bahnfleth

At 09:55 AM 3/16/2007, Alpana Jain wrote:
>Hi Ian,
>
>Pluss Polymers Pvt Ltd, a company based in India
>has developed a PCM product of 7 Deg C with a
>latent heat of 140KJ/Kg. Their research though
>is ongoing and they are in the process of developing more of such products.
>If you would like to contact them, their contact is:
>Name: Samit Jain (samit at manasindia.com)
>         Devendra Jain (djain at manasindia.com)
>Website: http://www.manasindia.com/pluss/
>
>Hope this is of some help.