[BLDG-SIM] IES <VE> vs DesignBuilder

Pongsak Chaisuparasmikul pongsak_archenergy at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 19 19:31:48 PDT 2007

Mahabir,

I think you forgot to mention one of the most important comparison between DesignBuilder and IES : is that IES has the modeling capabilities through BIM and DesignBuilder through CAD,which make a much difference in term of accuracy,quality,speed,coordination,and linked to the other applications.

Pongsak

PS As an independent DOE-2 consultant and researcher,one of my job is to unbiased test,examine,verify the software and offer truthful public information to the best of my knowledge.Every software has its own capabilities and users should know before they invest their money,time and effort.

Mahabir Bhandari <Bhandari at DesignBuildersoftware.com> wrote: Josh,

In my opinion, here are some points of comparison between DesignBuilder and
IES :

GENERAL BUILDING SIMULATION CAPABILITIES
DesignBuilder and IES  have quite similar capabilities for modeling
fabric, solar shading, internal gains, daylighting, natural ventilation etc.
DesignBuilder simulation is carried out using DOE EnergyPlus simulation
engine and the IES  simulations use the Apache simulator.

EASE OF USE