[BLDG-SIM] equest - select eir & hir questions

Kevin Kyte kkyte at robsonwoese.com
Thu Nov 29 07:31:23 PST 2007

I need to be schooled in electric input ratio and heat input ratio for all
equipment types: Airside and waterside.

Airside - packaged units:  Where does one find a COP for a DX cooling unit?
I have only seen SEER or EER.  Then I have seen this equation from archive
files,

Cooling EIR = 0.941 * (1/(SEER/3.413)).  Is this the correct equation?  It
was taken from the link:
http://www.gard.com/ml/bldg-sim-archive/msg01626.html.

How about conversion of EER to SEER?  I think I understand HIR = btu
input/btu output?

Waterside - chillers:  chiller EIR = 1/ COP, I was also told EIR = chiller
kW *3413 / capacity.  Is this the same, which is correct?

HIR = heat input/ cooling capacity.  Isn't COP the Output / input? So
wouldn't HIR be 1/ COP then.  This is quite confusing and going nowhere for
me, would someone please clarify.

Kevin Kyte, LEED AP

Jr. Mechanical Engineer

RobsonWoese, Inc.