[BLDG-SIM] Geothermal heat pump and LEED

Xiaobing Liu XLiu at climatemaster.com
Thu Nov 1 10:57:59 PDT 2007

Hi,

I've a question regarding what will be the baseline HVAC system for a proposed geothermal heat pump system when conducting LEED required performance rating?

I heard from some engineers at Colorado that they are required to compare the proposed geothermal heat pump (GHP) system with a baseline GHP when they conduct energy performance rating simulation for LEED purpose. I'm really surprised by knowing this. Is it true?

Per Appendix G of ASHRAE standard 90.1 (2004 version), "the HVAC systems in the baseline building design shall be based on usage, number of floors, conditioned floor area, and heating source as specified in Table G3.1.1A and shall conform with the system descriptions in Table G3.1.1B. I does not see in these tables any specific requirement for GSHP being simulated in the baseline building. Do I mis-understand anything in the standard?

I'll appreciate if anyone can share your experience/understanding on this issue.

Thanks,

Xiaobing