[Bldg-sim] Economizers and Compressor Use

Steve Tobin stobin at smithboucher.com
Tue Mar 25 12:03:41 PDT 2008

Hello all,

ASHRAE Appendix G requires an air side economizer with a high limit shut
off of 75 F for some climate zones base cases.  Typically  on projects I
have specified these type of economizers with a 65 F high limit shut off
and to have the compressor locked out during the economizer cycle.  Does
ASHRAE require the compressors to be locked out with a 75 F high limit
shutoff or can I have the compressor running during the economizer
cycle?  I have not found anywhere in 90.1 that requires the compressor
to be locked out, but am I overlooking it?

Thanks for all your help!

Steve Tobin

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway