[Bldg-sim] Where should you choose your wall location forsimulations, inside, outside or center of wall

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Sep 11 10:14:49 PDT 2009

My practice with all load calculation/energy modeling software has been:

All floors/roofs: Top of surface

Exterior glazing/walls: Outermost surface

Interior walls/partitions:  Center of construction

I know this is the advice offered by IES-VE's support staff, but that
doesn't mean all modeling engines behave the same.  As you may gather,
I've always assumed energy modeling and HVAC load calculation models
"subtract out" the thickness of constructions from calculated space
volumes.  I don't know whether this is a "universal standard practice"
between software packages / modeling engines.

Since I would ultimately much rather slightly oversize than undersize an
HVAC system, I'm of the mindset that the potential for a little extra
surface area / conditioned space would if anything bump my results in a
desired, conservative direction regarding space loads.  If absolute
accuracy is your goal, then in lieu of a "universal standard," I'd
imagine you would have to ask the developers/users of the specific
program you're using at the moment to determine its true behavior in
this regard.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER