[Bldg-sim] LEED, Process energy and pools

Rosenberg, Michael I michael.rosenberg at pnl.gov
Fri Jun 25 13:01:05 PDT 2010

James,

I don't think I agree with you that all swimming pool related energy is a process load according to 90.1. The definition in 90.1 is as follows:

process energy: energy consumed in support of a manufacturing, industrial, or commercial process other than conditioning spaces and maintaining comfort and amenities for the occupants of a building.

Clearly controlling space and pool water temperature in a natatorium maintains comfort for the occupants of a building. Additionally, 90.1 specifically includes many swimming pool related requirements including;

*         Section 7.4.5.1 - pool heaters

*         Section 7.4.5.2 - pool covers

*         Section 7.4.5.3 - time switches

*         Table 7.8 - pool heater efficiency requirements

*         Section 6.5.6.1 - Exhaust Air Energy Recovery (does not specifically mention swimming pools, but should apply).
Mike

Michael Rosenberg
Senior Commercial Buildings Energy Analyst
ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT DIRECTORATE
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
2032 Todd Street
Eugene, OR 97405