[Bldg-sim] DOAS system

James V Dirkes II, PE jvd2pe at tds.net
Sat Mar 27 02:44:06 PDT 2010

Dear Sambhav,

There is good information available from ASHRAE which you should read about
DOAS.

A brief understanding is that certain HVAC systems, such as chilled beams,
VRF and water-source heat pumps, are used to remove zone sensible cooling or
heating loads.  They are very effective at this function but do not provide
outdoor air ventilation for the zones.  As a result, a separate HVAC system
is provided for the express purpose of providing ventilation air.  This is
called a Dedicated Outdoor Air System (DOAS).

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504