[Bldg-sim] DOAS system

Joe Huang YJHuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sat Mar 27 10:38:38 PDT 2010

I resisted jumping in on this discussion earlier, but Chris' comment
motivated me to say that my experiences in China are very similar, and
that perhaps it's the US that's out of step with a lot of the world.

The standard HVAC system in Chinese buildings, i.e., at least 90% of
the time, are fan-coil units with a "DOAS" to provide conditioned fresh
air. The "DOAS" are essential because of the high outdoor humidity
during the summe. Of course, they're not known as "DOAS"; I only learned
that terminology when I explained the system to a US consultant.

It seems that when the US HVAC industry went to all-air systems in the
50's (?), fan-coil systems became stigmatized as archaic and their
designs stagnated. That's not the case in other parts of the world.

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd. Suite 108D
Moraga CA 94556