[Bldg-sim] eQuest domestic hot water energy consumption

Maudud Quazi tauhid80 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 10:51:29 PST 2010

Hello all,

Hopefully most of you have experience with modelling domestic hot water
system in eQuest.  First of all, according to Natural Resource Canada, the
annual Domestic Hot Water (DHW) heating consumption for residential
apartment buildings are about 15-20% of the total heating load.
I have recently model a DHW, where my water heating load was 5 times the
space heating load,which I found very unusual.  I sized the water storage
and boiler based on ASPE table, which specifies hot water flow rate in the
fixtures.  I also multiplied the load with a demand factor of 0.30 and
storage with a factor of 1.25.  I set the process flow rate by dividing the
demad with 60 (hourly demand/60 = GPM).  Design water temperature was set at
120 F.  Recirculation rate was 8 GPM.  Have I made any mistake?  Should I
have set the process flow rate at something else other than just dividing
the GPH by 60?  I would really appreciate if someone can answer it.  Thanks
all in advance.

Regards,
Hassan Quazi