[Bldg-sim] Leaf area index values for roof vegetation

Tabares Velasco, Paulo Cesar Paulo.Tabares at nrel.gov
Wed May 11 11:21:58 PDT 2011

Sotiris,

LAI values can range from 0(no plants) to 5 or higher. However, typical LAI values for extensive green roofs (substrate/soil thickness less than 6") are around 1-3. For my PhD Thesis at PennState I measured among other things the LAI of a healthy green roof sample with Delosperma nubigenum. The LAI was 2.7.

Hope this helps,

Paulo

Paulo Cesar Tabares-Velasco, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher
Electricity, Resources & Building Systems Integration
National Renewable Energy Lab
1617 Cole Blvd.  MS 5202
Golden, CO  80401
303.384.7591  direct