[Bldg-sim] Tools to draw HVAC diagrams

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Thu Jun 7 08:58:47 PDT 2012

I would humbly submit OpenStudio (openstudio.nrel.gov) as a tool for diagramming these systems. The OpenStudio application has a visual HVAC system design tab in the interface that has been engineered to allow idiots like me to create ASHRAE standard system types, and customize from there as needed. While the graphics may not be super sexy, they tell the story. Further, after you've dragged and dropped your way to a functional and valid HVAC system description, you not only have a series of graphics that illustrate it, you also have underlying code describing this system in OpenStudio-speak, as well as EnergyPlus-speak, ready for simulation.

Rob Guglielmetti
NREL