[Bldg-sim] CAV to VAV issues in EnergyPlus

Ryan Del Balso rdelbalso at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 10:52:58 PDT 2013

Thanks for the quick reply Daniel.

I have checked the Report: Equipment Summary tables. Here all is identical
between the two models, except for the Heating Coil for the zone I
modified. For the VAV system, the Heating Coil nominal capacity is 28,369 W
vs 68,845 W for the CAV system. All the other heating, cooling and fan
systems are sized the same between the models.

In the Report: HVAC Sizing Summary everything is identical.

For the zone I switched the Time Setpoint Not Met has increased
significantly for both cooling and heating, and during occupied and
unoccupied periods.

In the Outdoor Air summary: both mechanical ventilation and infiltration
are minimally different in all zones (differences are in the hundredths).

As for where the energy differences are:
Fan Energy: slight decrease in overall fan energy (I have only changed a
small zone)
Heating: increase in heating energy
Cooling: increase in cooling energy

I think this sums it up. From this, maybe the issue is with the heating
rather than the cooling coils. There is a significant difference in the
heating coil nominal capacity.
Ryan