[Bldg-sim] question regarding lighting efficiency/gains units of measurement

Julien Marrec julien.marrec at gmail.com
Wed May 28 07:23:14 PDT 2014

Hi,

I agree with Nick, usually the metrics used in the US concerns the Lighting
Power Density (LPD), in W/sqft, but this is also the case in most of
Europe, of course in W/m² (at least in France and I'm guessing the UK too
considering the BREEAM Standard).
Usually standards adapt to different required lighting levels by giving max
LPD per space type (to adjust for required lux levels)

Anyway, for the sake of a dimensional analysis:

1 lux = 1 lumen/W.

<=> W/(m².100.lux) = (1/100) / (W/lm)

So it is the inverse of the luminous efficacy (expressed as a percentage).

Now if you want to throw in foot-candles (1 fc = 1 lm/ft²) just for fun...
be my guest. that'd be W/(m².100.lux) = 1/100 * W / (ft².fc) but I have
never seen that being used...

(I can't resist the opportunity to say it'd be about time to start using
the SI units in the US too :))

Best,
Julien

--
Julien Marrec, EBCP, BPI MFBA
Ingénieur en efficacité énergétique du bâtiment

DoYouBuzz : www.doyoubuzz.com/julien-marrec_1
LinkedIn (fr) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec/fr
LinkedIn (en) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec