Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] revisiting design day info

Sorry - I hit the send button by accident before I was finished
editing.  Here's the full reply.  MJW

The design data in the weather files is from 2001 ASHRAE data.  The
datasets use pre-1997 data.  The ASHRAE data was completely redone in
the 1997 Handbook of Fundamental.  The percentage basis was seasonal
in pre-1997, now it is annual.  This, along with some other changes
in method resulted in slightly different values.

"MWS .40%" and PWD .40% are the cooling wind conditions.

The ASHRAE data is almost everything you need to define an EnergyPlus
design day.  Use "Range of DB" data for the Daily Temp Range for the
cooling day, use zero range (constant temperature) for the heating
day. Clearness is not included in the ASHRAE data.  Conservative
values are zero for a heating day (no sun), and 1.0 for a cooling
day.  Clear sunnary day clearness ranges from 0.9 at sea level in
humid region to 1.1 at high altitude.

Mike

On 9 Nov 2002, at 22:08, no_rb wrote:

> If i look at the 5zoneaircooled.idf example - the design day
> information does not completely match the info in the USA_IL_Chicago-
> Ohare_TMY2.epw/rpt file (and it did not match the blastdesign file).
> Also i cannot seem to find wind direction slot for the cooling design
> day in the weather file
>
> am i missing something or does the ashrae design day not provide
> complete information for the eplus design input?
>
> thanks in advance for any pointers.
>
> rohini

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is: