Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Calculation of angular properties

On 1 Apr 2005, at 12:44, Fábyo Luiz Pereira wrote:

>    I have some doubts about the calculation of angular properties for uncoated
> glass. This section is part of the engineering document and since I'm using an
> previous version of EnergyPlus (1.1.1.012), I will describe the equations and
> show its numbers used in my manual version. The "Calculation of Angular
> Properties" sub-section is located in the EngineeringDoc.pdf, chapter
> "Daylighting and Window Calculations", section "Window Calculation Module".

I would encourage you to upgrade to version 1.2.1.022 to gain the benefit of
bug fixes, new features and documentation changes.

>    In this sub-section, on "Angular Properties of Uncoated Glass" description,
> the first two equations (1.87 and 1.88) relates the angular function of
> transmittance and reflectance ("T" and "R") with the angular function of
> transmissivity and reflectivity ("tau" and "ro"). I have two questions:
>
> 1 - The "phi" angle is the incidence angle, but it is not clear what angle is
> the "phi'"? It is the refraction angle inside the glass?

Yes, "phi'" is the angle inside the glass.

> 2 - I concluded that terms with the -ivity ending (transmissivity,
> reflectivity) are refered as material properties (no matter physical features),
> while terms with the ?ance ending (transmittance, reflectance) are refered to
> samples because in these equations are functions of thickness. This is correct?

That appears to be correct for the purpose of the equations you reference.
Note that trasmissivity (tau) is defined for those equations as 1-rho
(reflectivity).

>    Finally, in equation 1.90, that gives the spectral transmissivity as
> function of the spectral reflectivity: tau(phi) = 1 - ro(phi), the third doubt
> is:
>
> 3 - Where is the spectral absorptivity term "alpha(phi)"?

As you stated above, it appears that transmissivity is not a function of
thickness.  Transmissivity is used here as a property of a single air/glass
interface.  At a single interface, there can be reflection but no absorption.
Thus, tau=1 - ro.

Mike

>  Engº Fábyo Luiz Pereira
>  UFRGS - Laboratório de Vapor e Refrigeração
>  Rua Sarmento Leite, 425 - Sala 203 - Centro - 90050-170
>  Fone / Fax: +55 51 3316-3167 / 3316-3355
>  www.mecanica.ufrgs.br/lafrig
>  Porto Alegre - RS - BRASIL
>

> Yahoo! Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis.
> Instale o discador agora! http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

> Yahoo! Groups Links