Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Questions about EnergyPlus

There are two example files with multi-story buildings, both use relative
coordinates and zone multipliers to simplify the geometry inputs,
MultiStory.idf and LgOffVAV.idf

For buildings with similar zones on multiple floors, IDF Editor can be used in
combination with a text editor to generate the building geometry rather quickly:

1.  Use IDF Editor to describe the zones on the ground floor, using Relative
coordinates in the SURFACEGEOMETRY object.

2.  Use a text editor to copy and paste the ZONE and SURFACE:* objects for the
ground floor to create the next floor (story).  Use search and replace to
rename the surfaces for the new floor.

3.  Change exterior conditions as needed for the floor and ceiling surfaces.

4.  For the zones on the new floor, change the z-coordinate of the zone origins
to raise the zones up to the next level.  There should be no need to change any
surface coordinates - they are all relative to the zone origins.

5.  Repeat steps 2-4 for additional floors (stories).

Once the desired number of floors are in the file, the file can be saved and
reloaded in IDF Editor for further editing if desired.

Mike