Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Controlling Air Flow rate through HVAC system

Barry and Mike,

Setting the system air flow rate via a schedule was something I wanted
to do but never got around
to doing. No, the facility for doing it now is not there, but everything
is set up to implement this.
Generally, the system flow rate is set by the zone terminal units.
However there is a system level
override in the code. That override is in DataAirLoop in the data arrays
AirLoopControlInfo
and AirLoopFlow. Specifically,
AirLoopControlInfo(AirLoopNum)%LoopFlowRateSet is a logical
that if true indicates that the air loop flow rate ise set using
ReqSupplyFrac. AirLoopFlow(AirLoopNum)%ReqSupplyFrac
is the required flow (as a fraction of DesSupply). The design flow rate
is available in AirLoopFlow(AirLoopNum)%DesSupply.
You need to write a Set Point Manager that will read a schedule and set
ReqSupplyFrac and LoopFlowRateSet.
Once you have done that your job is done; the program will automatically
set the flow to what you have specified.
To write a Set Point Manager go into the SetPointManager module and
imitate the many examples of managers
that are already there. In particular look for SET POINT MANAGER:WARMEST
TEMP FLOW which sets
the system flow rate. Note that LoopFlowRateSet is set in the
InitSetPointManagers subroutine; ReqSupplyFrac
is initialized in the same routine, calculated in the Calc routine, and
set in UpdateSetPointManagers.

As an alternative you could write a System Availability Manager to set
the system flow rate, as is done for
night ventilation. But this is more involved; I would go ahead and
imitate SET POINT MANAGER:WARMEST TEMP FLOW.

Fred Buhl