[EnergyPlus_Support] Exhaust Fan Operation and Connections

To All,

Ah yes, another problem from the troublemakers here at UIC.
Sometimes I wonder if Gard has ever considered revoking our EPlus
license - I hope there isn't a user idiocy clause in the agreement.
Anyhow, I am having trouble setting up exhaust fans.  The short
version of the problems is that I cannot get several exhaust fans to
operate and pass zone exhaust to the appropriate connected nodes.
The file that I am having trouble with is posted as (C2+_19.idf).
The problematic exhaust fans are all of the exhaust fans in the
file.  The eso states that there is no flow through the fan input
nodes and no power consumption by the fans - although the input
nodes do correctly report zone temperatures.  The output nodes do
show flow, but do not show the correct temperatures.  Any ideas on
how to fix this?

The long version of the problem is that I am trying to model a DOAS
system for packaged rooftops where I have one packaged rooftop
pretreating ventilation air and delivering that air to the OA intake
of the zone packaged rooftops.  The only way that I have been able
to think of to make this work is to create associated dummy zones
(denoted in the idf as zone names that start with a V) for each real
zone so that I can split the flow from the pretreating rooftop using
a zone splitter.  To ensure continuity in the Air Primary Loop, the
return flows from the dummy zones are mixed and sent back to the
pretreating rooftop but not recirculated (the pretreating rooftop is
100% OA).  I supply the pretreated air from each dummy zone through
the zone exhaust to the OA intake of the associated real zone
packaged unit.  However, as mentioned, the flow and temperature
conditions at the exhaust fan inlet and outlet for each fan do not
match.  Can this be fixed?  Is there any other way that I can model
this system - on rooftop supplying the OA intake of several others?

I have tried to set up the system without the exhaust fans (a real
system of this type wouldn't have them - as such I have set their
efficiencies impossibly high and their delta pressures impossibly
low to minimize their power consuption), but then I don't have two
independent nodes to ensure that the temperature and flow supplied
to the zone rooftops is consistent.