[Equest-users] Cooling in Winter

YinRic cesseric at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 05:16:30 PDT 2010

Hi Users,

I met a problem with strange cooling in winter, which you may also have come across in your models.

For short, the cooling system is chiller+VAV terminal system in a typical two-storey office building. The outcome that appeared is extremely strange since the SS-I report indicates that in January and Feburary, both the sensible and latent cooling load is 0, and the heat rejection energy in these two months are 0 as well. However, some cooling energy consumption still appears during these two coldest months (and all throughout the year), which simply does not make sense. In the corresponding "baseline model", the outcome looks fairly normal, with 0 cooling in winter. But in the proposed model, this strange cooling in winter causes great disadvantage against the Baseline. I attempted to control this by introducing "cooling availability schedule", but unfortunately, doing this caused too many hours out of throttling range. I have spent 2 days on this thing but still fail to find any clue. The model is attached with this email. If anyone could kindly have a look and give me some insight into this problem, that will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick, LEED AP