[Equest-users] Reproducing Unmet Hours

STEVE SAMENSKI steve at thespinnakergroupinc.com
Mon Feb 15 03:49:28 PST 2010

Francisco ‹ thanks for responding.  Yes, Report SS-O gives you an hourly
summary.  The operating hours are divided into 5 degree bins, and this can¹t
be changed.  I¹ve found SS-O useful in two cases:
1. Diagnosing a case where a unit is undersized. (I work in a cooling
climate.)  SS-O will show a nice ³bell curve² peaking at or just past the
hottest part of the day.
2. Diagnosing an instance where the AC units aren¹t starting up early enough
in the morning.

The situation with my current model is a bit different.  The design engineer
has placed two thermal zones on opposite exposures (east and west) of the
building.  I can¹t get the system satisfied, despite the fact that it¹s
large enough.  Whichever zone has the T-stat is mostly (but not completely)
satisfied.  I believe the two zones won¹t be happy on the same AC, so I
wanted to prove that with an hour by hour analysis, contrasting the peak
temperatures for each zone.

I¹m going to try expanding the throttling range as recommended by John A. in
a previous response.  However, I¹m not completely sure that each thermal
zone can have it¹s own T-stat.

Steve Samenski, PE, LEED AP
http://equest-diary.livejournal.com/