[Equest-users] The DES Dilemma

Arpan Bakshi arpanbakshi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 14:00:46 PDT 2011

PROJECT BACKGROUND

*Building Area*
Less than 25,000 SF

*Proposed Design*
TDV, DOAS, Supplemental Radiant Heating/Cooling

*Heating and Cooling Generation*
University District Heating and Cooling

*
*THE DES DILEMMA
Reference – Treatment of District or Campus Thermal Energy in LEED V2 and
LEED 2009 – Design & Construction

*Option 1 (Building stand-alone scenario)
*
The downstream equipment of both baseline and proposed models cannot be
easily isolated by tying chilled and heating hot water loops to meters since
the baseline building is System 3, and does not use water-side systems. Neither
can proposed model systems be replaced by “4-pipe CV AHU” per DES Table 3
(is that a typo?) since the downstream radiant systems need a water-side
source of heating and cooling in the model.

*Option 2 (Model for Aggregate Building / DES Scenario)*

This option has a points floor of 6 for LEED NC v2009. We do not anticipate
a maximum of 1-3 points due to envelope design inefficiencies. Therefore
this project would not qualify for Option 2.

ANY THOUGHTS?

I’m tempted to model System 7 heating and cooling plants for both baseline
and proposed models and call it even, cost-neutral. What would you suggest?
--

*
*

Arpan Bakshi  LEED AP BD+C