[Equest-users] building shade effect

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu May 31 06:28:28 PDT 2012

Bobby,

My approach would be (would have been) to model the shades as window overhangs or building shades, or a combination thereof. Based on your sketches this would be a lot of work, but the louvers are obviously an important feature for the design team and will have considerable project cost. You could try replicating the impressive things Nick Caton has done with shades per the attached email. You could try it for a floor or two to get the delta energy improvement and extrapolate for # of floors to get a rough comparison to your transmittance approach. I would think the reduction in cooling energy would be considerable if using clear glass with external shades vs. without. The overall numbers will of course depend on several other things, including the proportion of solar load to overall building cooling load.

Regards,
Bill