[Bldg-rate] ASHRAE 90.1 Baseline Shading Itself

Dan Russell danr at engineeringinc.com
Thu Sep 4 10:01:24 PDT 2008

ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Appendix G Table G3.1.5(a) for Baseline Building Performance states that "...the building shall be modeled so that it does not shade itself."

I have a medium high rise. Bottom floor is Retail.  Next three floors are parking garage.  Rest of floors are office space.  The lowest floor essentially has a roof that is driven on by automobiles and is shaded by the parking structure.

|_______|

|_______|ßParking Garage (Unconditioned)

|_______|

For the purpose of performing energy simulation compliant with ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Appendix G, is my baseline model for the first floor required to have a roof that is fully exposed to solar gains (i.e. unshaded by the parking structure?)

Thanks,

 Dan Russell, EIT