[Bldg-rate] Software Recommendations

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Fri Sep 12 10:48:17 PDT 2008

Is this similar to the student design competition that the USGBC and
chapters organize ?
<<The USGBC Boston chapter is hosting a design competition which is
managed by the Emerging Green Builders (EGB - Students & Young
Proffesionals). >>
We initiated that competition at the chapter level here in
Philadelphia, in my opinion it is much more realistic to have a real
site and client that the students can see and interface with. Hence
local works well.   We did give them, at least in the first year when
I was involved, an intro to make sure basic environmental engineering
principles were covered.  But to have actual calcs however
rudimentary, I agree that would be great.  In general these
competitions do tend to be about pretty pictures ( from my experience
in a past life as an architect I would say ruefully that that is
generally the usual way to get picked out in a competition,
especially where architects are involved.)
I feel that at this point the green/sustainable building field needs
more technically rooted designers and decision makers.  The use of
metrics and realistic modeling is certainly a part of that.

Dean Sherwin CPE
Certified Professional Estimator
LEED Accredited Professional
CONSTRUCTION COST MANAGEMENT
3, Cherry Street
PO Box 11
Media, PA 19063-0011
(610)892 8860

At 09:47 AM 9/12/2008, Ryan Lacey wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am helping out with the planning of the student design competition
>for the upcoming NESEA conference this up coming
>March.
>(<http://www.buildingenergy.nesea.org/>http://www.buildingenergy.nesea.org/)
>I think it would be great if the contestants in addition to
>designing sexy building to have the design heating and cooling loads
>as part of their entry.  Can anybody recommend any friendly software
>that would be forgiving for first time users and the technically
>impaired?  I know that HAP puts out a basic block load calculator
>but my major issue with it is that it does not take into account the
>potential of shading its self as a result of complex building forms
>and asking contestants to use EQuest would just be crewel.  I am
>looking for a happy medium that would have the building geometry
>front end that Equest that doesn't require a PE to operate.  Any
>help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>

>[]
>
>E20-II block load report - hvac software
>

>Ryan Lacey
>LEED AP
>Petersen Engineering, Inc.
>PO Box 4774