[BLDG-SIM] DOE-2

John P. Karasaki, P.E. jpkarasa at cbg-engrs.com
Fri Jul 2 09:21:52 PDT 1999

First time user or not, you should start with the current version of DOE-2,
DOE-2.2.  Using any other version would be a waste of time.  DOE-2.2 is
significantly different than the earlier versions.

One of the DOE-2.2 vendors had a great quote: "DOE-2.2 is deceivingly
similar to DOE-2.1E."  What he meant was that you can use 2.2 just like
2.1E.  However, doing so prevents one from using the full potential of 2.2.

I would avoid any of the programs with a graphical interface (PowerDOE,
VisualDOE, etc.) because it is too easy to make mistakes that go un-noticed
and learn bad habits.  Regardless of what their marketing literature says,
these interface tools should only be used in the hands of experienced
modelers.  I'm sure I will get alot of heat for that statement, but I have
seen a few studies done with those tools that had real flaws buried in the
input files.

As you do your first input files, you should have some experienced DOE-2
modelers review the files.  You should also allow yourself a huge amount of
time to complete any project.

HTH.